Decadron also known as Dexamethasone, is a corticosteroid hormone that lowers the body’s immune system and therefore, reduces the symptoms such as swelling and allergic-type reactions. Decadron 4 mg is a medication used to treat conditions such as allergic reactions, some skin and eye conditions, arthritis, blood and immune system disorders, breathing disorders, some bowel disorders, and certain cancers.
The price of Decadron 4 mg varies from pharmacy to pharmacy, depending on the location, quantity, power and discounts.
Dosage And Direction of Decadron 4 mg
Decadron 4 mg medication should be taken as directed by the doctor or pharmacist or as directed in the Patient’s Information Leaflet. Dexone Dexamethasone 0.5 mg tablets is the initial dose for most conditions which can be extended to 0.9 mg and has to be taken orally with food or milk to prevent an upset stomach. The drug has to be taken once daily before 9 AM. Depending on the severity of the condition being treated and age of the patient, the dose varies, and should only be taken as directed by the doctor.
One should take the following precautions while taking Decadron 4 mg tablet medication:
· One should take the medication as directed without altering the dose and should avoid stopping the therapy without consulting the doctor. Stopping the medication suddenly may make the condition worse.
· People with an allergic reaction to the drug or any other NSAID drug should take medicine with caution.
· The lowest possible dose should be used for the treatment, and when a reduction of the dose is possible, it should be done gradually.
· Salt and water retention may occur in some patients, especially those with congestive heart failure, hypertension, or renal insufficiency.
· The drug should be used with caution by patients with active or latent peptic ulcers, diverticulitis, fresh intestinal anastomoses, and nonspecific ulcerative colitis, as it may increase one’s risk of perforation.
· In children below 18 years of age, the medication may cause the inhibition of bone growth and the development of osteoporosis.
· Patients with neuromuscular transmission disorders may develop an acute myopathy when high doses of Decadron are administered.
Decadron 4 mg medication is contraindicated to people with a hypersensitive reaction to any component of the drug.
Possible Side Effects
Although the medication has numerous benefits, it has some side effects, as mentioned below:
· Stomach upset
· Trouble sleeping
· Menstrual changes
· Increased appetite and weight gain
· Sore throat
· Bone/joint pain
· Irregular heartbeat
· Abdominal pain
Other mild to severe side effects may occur to some patients, and one should inform the doctor immediately for medication directions or dose adjustments.
Taking other medicines or products may change the working of Decadron or may increase one’s risk of severe or fatal side effects. For the full list of possible drug interactions, one should speak to a doctor. One should, therefore, keep a list of all the products they use and share it with the doctor. Starting, stopping, or changing the dose of any medicine without the doctor’s approval is not recommended.
A missed dose of Decadron 4 mg should be taken immediately after one remembers as long it’s still within 12 hours of the missed dose. If it is over the recommended 12 hours, one should skip the missed dose and proceed with the next dose as directed previously.
In case of an overdose situation, the patient should immediately call the doctor for emergency directions. The treatment for an overdose should be supportive and symptomatic therapy and may include gastric lavage or emesis (vomiting).
Decadron 1mg should be stored at a controlled room temperature of 68 to 77 degrees F. Care should be taken not to store it beyond 77 degrees F and also should keep in its original package to protect from light.